[lac-discuss-en] [At-Large] R: The Right to Be Forgotten

Dev Anand Teelucksingh devtee at gmail.com
Thu May 9 09:32:52 UTC 2013

Google's Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt Explains Why The Internet Needs A
'Delete Button'

".....Actions someone takes when young can haunt the person forever,
Schmidt said, because the information will always be on the Internet. He
used the example of a young person who committed a crime that could be
expunged from his record when he's an adult. But information about that
crime could remain online, preventing the person from finding a job.

"In America, there's a sense of fairness that's culturally true for all of
us," Schmidt said. "The lack of a delete button on the Internet is a
significant issue. There is a time when erasure is a right thing."

Read the article at
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57583022-93/googles-schmidt-the-internet-needs-a-delete-button/

Re: the right to be forgotten.....a blog post by Peter Fleischer breaks
down the issues in his blog post:
"Foggy thinking about the Right to Oblivion"
http://peterfleischer.blogspot.com/2011/03/foggy-thinking-about-right-to-oblivion.html

Dev Anand