[lac-discuss-en] Discussion on LACRALO Teleconference - FY2014 Budget Request

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 22:52:52 UTC 2013

Dear All:
While this proposal is laudable, I would urge more refinement before it is
presented.  The situation is a lot more complex than it appears.

I don't know for Spanish-speaking Central American Nations but for the
English Speaking Caribbean in general and members of CARICOM which includes
Suriname and Haiti, this is what should be known.

>From my then position  a ranking university officer in arguably the largest
university in the Caribbean and beginning when she was the ALAC Chair,
Jacqueline Morris and I engaged in widespread outreach across the
Caribbean.  We utilised connections from activities in the tertiary
education systems of the region, my contacts as the registry operator and
registrar for dotjm ccTLD and other organisations to which I am attached,
like CIVIC.  Some success was achieved, resulting in some connections to
ICANN at various levels.

Representatives from St Lucia, Haiti, Belize, Antigua & Barbuda have
attended ICANN meetings, several as Fellowships. Some have shown interest
in other constituencies like the GAC and ccNSO. A few of these have even
become active members of the ccNSO.

Several attempts have been made to form ALS in a few countries. These were
led mostly from colleagues in the tertiary-level education institutions;
Max Larson Henry at the State University of Haiti, Juan Carlos Namis at the
University of Belize, Deirdre Williams at Sir Arthur Lewis Community
College in St Lucia and colleagues in St Vincent and the Grenadines.  These
have foundered largely because of apathy.  True, we could have encouraged
certification even with such thin active support.  We choose not to.  The
point is we want both representation and active participation. In this area
I'm fully in support of the Chair's views recently expressed.

Then there is the accounting of the countries without ALS.   A lot of the
territories that are listed in the proposal are actually of residual
colonial status. For AT-Large consideration, these are properlyEURALO; the
Cayman Islands, Turks & Caicos, Montserrat, Anguilla, the ABC Islands and
St. Maarten connected to The Netherlands and the French departments of
Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Martin etc. among them. Some of you might begin
to understand the rationale for the recommendations from the Geographic
Regions WG of which I am a member.

The intent of the proposal is laudable. Its construction however is
mismatched to purpose.

Kind regards,
-Carlton