[lac-discuss-en] Fwd: ICANN News Alert -- Whois Registrant Identification Study, Draft Report

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 15:32:43 UTC 2013

Grist for the mill, from Appendix A: Exploratory Analysis Report document:

 "For each of the 1,600 domain names, we tried to determine if the domain
user could be considered a legal person or a natural person. Table 2 shows
that for most domain names, we could not make such a determination
because *almost
half the domains were parked domains or had no online content at all*. *Only
11.5 percent of the domains had content, but had an unknown apparent domain
user type.*"

-Carlton

==============================
Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799
=============================

**
 [image: ICANN] <http://www.icann.org/> News Alert

http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-15feb13-en.htm
------------------------------
 Whois Registrant Identification Study, Draft Report

  *Forum Announcement:* Comment Period Opens on *Date:* 15 February 2013  *
Categories/Tags:* Policy Processes  *Purpose (Brief):* This study,
conducted by NORC at the University of Chicago, uses Whois to classify
entities that register gTLD domain names, including natural persons, legal
persons, and Privacy/Proxy service providers. Using associated Internet
content, the study classifies entities using those domains, and observed
potentially commercial activities. Findings will help the community
understand how Registrants identify themselves in Whois.  *Public Comment
Box Link:*
http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/whois-regid-15feb13-en.htm