[lac-discuss-en] [At-Large] Fw: Internet Traffic Exchanges - A Very Successful Model

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch apisan at unam.mx
Thu Oct 25 04:21:31 UTC 2012

Hi,

the importance of this work by the OECD transcends IXPs by far and is more relevant to the ALAC in another sense: it shows that the Internet model of multistakeholder governance works really well and is in no way a statu quo but a revolution still in motion.

That said, the recent increase in attention to IXPs is also associated with the fact that some of them appear to be of a new breed, attracting content and cloud-based service providers as well as CDNs (content-distribution networks, such as Akamai). New models to finance the IXPs appear because shortening the links to them (making that traffic in-country) diminishes the bandwidth demand for cross-border traffic, thus increasing the ROI of the investments that ISPs must still make to gain connection and accesss to the IXP.

Little of that has bearing upon our ICANN remit directly but its vindication of the vitality of the Internet model is of high importance.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

! !! !!! !!!!
NEW PHONE NUMBER - NUEVO NÚMERO DE TELÉFONO

+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD

+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO

SMS +525541444475
     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
UNAM, Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico

Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn, http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, http://www.isoc.org