[lac-discuss-en] [At-Large] They're out of IPv4 Addresses!

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Sep 16 16:42:59 UTC 2012

>  As he explains, with NATing, the carriers gain information about what
> IP addresses are going where - information they can flog to advertisers.

This argument makes no sense.  A snoopy ISP could as easily collect this
information from non-NAT routers as from NAT boxes.

In Australia, I would have thought that privacy laws would make selling
that kind of information illegal.  In the US they use noxious services
like phorm to collect and sell info, no NAT needed.

R's,
John