[lac-discuss-en] =? Iso-8859-1? Q?Examen_Final_-_Miembro_de_la_elec? == Iso-8859-1? Q? Ci =F3n_de_ALAC_ 28Parte_2 = 29 =? =

Webmaster rok at bango.org.bb
Fri Aug 17 15:05:26 UTC 2012

Alberto,

I must now choose my words carefully in the hope that meanings don't get
lost in translation. If you look at the RoP, you will see that most of the
executive authority is given to the Secretariat and not the Chairman. For
the Chairman to make such a decision he must have executive authority. He
has authority over the conduct of meetings only.

Therefore, as Chairman, he has two options:
1. Noting that there are differing opinions on this matter, he should put it
to the members to vote. Even this is not the best way because Humberto is a
member of LACRALO with full voting rights and if he represents Chile, who
can deny Chile a nomination which happens to be him. Chile nominated him;
2. Given that Humberto is a member of LACRALO representing Chile, but away
from his domicile, leave the nomination and let the members of LACRALO
decide whether or not Humberto is capable of representing them even though
he is not in Chile at present.

By trying to make a decision, the Chairman is invoking executive authority
which he does not have. You cannot be so insensitive to a country that you
try to rule out its chosen representative. Since one would not want to make
a decision in such circumstances. Furthermore, the elections are the
responsibility of the Secretariat not the Chairman.

ROK