[lac-discuss-en] BBC : American law: How non-US companies are affected

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 15:24:39 UTC 2012

Thanks Dev.  I've been following the story.  I was hopeful that the
'leaked' original response from Standard Chartered Bank - they have a
gilded colonial heritage - forecast a pushback. Nope.

The trouble is reciprocity. As principle, the USG does not recognize that
laws from anywhere else are good enough to obey. A deep nativist streak
remains in the polity. If a U.S. Supreme Court Judge makes a ruling that
refers a foreign court or jurisdiction, some of their own brethren would
damn near bust a gut. Hey, the common fools on Fox go apeshit!  Even in
areas like international criminal law and  laws (conventions) of war, the
USG claims exemption.  Such as, its claims on the Hague Convention.  Or
Spanish law on crimes against humanity that judge, Garzon, is so eager to
enforce, especially on Cubans.   In this ecosystem might remains right. Nix
principle.

Like it or not, makes Ol' Henry Kissinger a sage: "there are only permanent
interests."

- Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799