[lac-discuss-en] REPRESENTATIVE LACRALO-ALAC to the NOMCOM

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 12:41:29 UTC 2012

Here we go, again.

First thing I did was to check the original Spanish to ensure it was not an
error in translation.

This declaration is plain wrong!

The NomCom representative's term ends at the *beginning* of the Annual
General Meeting.  That is the ICANN *Board Meeting* at Toronto in October
2012.

This raises a concern whether the Secretariat is mindful of the bye-laws or
merely derelict in duty. Now know this.

The NomCom Chair has the responsibility to request the ALAC nominate and
send representatives to NomCom for 2012-2103.  So far as I know, that
Chair, Rob Hall, has not yet requested any such thing of the ALAC.

It is the ALAC Chair that makes the call for nomination of candidates from
the five (5) At-Large regions.  I cannot recall any discussions in ALAC on
this matter.  Neither have I seen any announcement from the ALAC Chair.

It is the ALAC that decides and returns NomCom representatives.

We have three very serious issues.

One, this false declaration could create confusion for those who will
inevitably see the Secretariat's message weeks from now. The business of
the 2011-2012 NomCom is ongoing. And for this region, it could
inadvertently message that with expiration of the representative's mandate
as at July 31, 2012 makes all her actions in the NomCom thereafter
illegitimate.

Second, this places our representative in disrepute.

Third, this means the NomCom process would be tainted and, thusly, called
into disrepute.

We cannot have this.  So that we mitigate this likely damage, this
declaration of the LACRALO Secretariat must be repudiated on the record.

- Carlton Samuels

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799