[lac-discuss-en] All Latin America

admin at bango.org.bb admin at bango.org.bb
Fri May 25 22:31:04 UTC 2012

Hello to all members,

It has become hard not to notice what may be called a flexing of the Latin
American muscle. First an attempt to ignore the fact that English is the
official language and I am seeing statements from working groups that a
decision is to be made about which language the group would work in. If the
official language of ICANN is English, it is important that English is used
and not a mixture of German, Spanish, French or otherwise as words have
different meanings and connotations in different language. This is important
so as to be consistent. It does not matter which language, whichever
language is used, it must not be compromised. We cannot be understanding
something as English allows and then somebody else understanding it a
different way because of language or interpretation differences.

For example, I am hearing reference to the Chairman as President, where it
is said that the Spanish translation for "the Chairman" is "el Presidente".
In English, there is a clear distinction between a Chairman and a President,
just as there is a difference between "sovereign" and the "highest-decision
making body" of an organisation. The highest decision making body in any
organisation is also subject to rules. It cannot even breach its own rules
and as a matter of fact, will be judged on how well it has been able to
observe its own rules.

First, when I look at the rules of the LACRALO, the Chairman is erroneously
referred to as the President. This is where the corruption of the word
Chairman begins as it moves from el presidente the chairman, to President.
Then, in assuming office, the chairman begins to act like he is a president,
but when you look at the RoP, the role of the chairman is clearly not an
executive one, but a role, a task to perform.

Second, the word sovereign has no place in the democratic process. Democracy
is not about sovereignty but more about cooperation, dialogue,
collaboration, consultations and consensus. Sovereignty connotes arbitrary
rule, absolute rule, a divine right to rule, etc. whereas, democracy is
about the rule of the people and quite contrary to most popular beliefs, not
about the rule of the majority either. It is about the RULE OF THE PEOPLE.

In any society, there are many different people. People are not usually of
one mind. They have diverse interests and hence they have to come together,
consult, dialogue and continue to work with one another for the benefit of
all. In any democracy, minorities especially must have a voice and it would
seem that the LAs, even though they are saying democracy, obviously do not
understand what the word means. This was demonstrated by Jose as Chair of
the GA in one of many incidents, when he refused questions on a motion and
declared that only voting will take place. Then after the vote, somebody
proceeded to ask for clarifications on what was just voted for. That in
itself is madness and certainly a lack of appreciation for democratic
procedure, because after voting, nobody should be asking for clarifications.
Everybody should be clear about what they are voting for before the vote.

I therefore do not support his election as Chairman of LACRALO and given the
dictatorial behaviour of the Secretariat, I question their understanding of
democracy. While these people as personalities are quite hospitable and
friendly, this rush to politicise LACRALO is not welcomed.

As a person who is accustomed to democratic procedures and process (it is my
daily life), it is beneath my dignity to participate in any organisation
where the elected think that they have autocratic rule and simple democratic
rules of procedures are unknown. We are not accustomed to this. We are not
accustomed to people who try to empower themselves to make decisions that
will impact others and rely on their authority to flout rules and do as they
like.

These matters are too elementary and I have no intention to be participating
in meetings where people are not respected and are expected to do what they
are told. I left my childhood more that 40 years ago, never to return.
Therefore my participation in LACRALO will be very minimal if any. I can't
take the childishness associated with the politicisation of LACRALO.

Finally, in the same way that country coefficients have been applied to
ensure that each country has only one vote, is the same way that LA should
not hold all the elected officers. It is LA & C. Right now it is only LA.
The C is missing and I am among the C. many of my colleagues have taken the
same position including those that went to CR and therefore, when the
aftermath of CR should be more participation, we are not even able to
achieve this given.

I therefore object to this politicisation of LACRALO and give notice that
not participating is not for lack of interest but in protest of the
politicisation. I will sit with you at a party, I will sit and chat, but not
at LACRALO meetings until those charged with its management understand how
to manage in a democratic manner.

ROK
Roosevelt O. King
Secretary General
Barbados Association of Non Governmental Organisations
#10 Garrison, St. Michael
Barbados, Caribbean
Tel: 247-822-7707 / 254-5815
e-mail: admin at bango.org.bb