[lac-discuss-en] =? Windows-1252? Q? Resultados_de_la_Elecci =F3n_de_? == Windows-1252? Q? = 09la_Secretar =EDa_de_LACRALO_t = E9rmino_de_un_a? == Windows-1252? Q? =F1o_ = 09de_04_de_mayo_2012? =

admin at bango.org.bb admin at bango.org.bb
Wed May 2 21:43:12 UTC 2012

Congrats to Sylvia. Wishing you the best performance ever.

I must take objection to the e-mail below by JosSalgueiro which attempts to
insinuate that the Caribbean lacks the capacity and the skill to canvass a
well qualified candidate (if the translation and my understanding of it is
correct). I speak for myself here and commend the Caribbean for not
canvassing a candidate for Chairman as it was the prevailing view in the
Caribbean that one of the posts should go to LA and one to the Caribbean
since it is LA and the C and not only LA. We therefore sought some balance
within the administration of LACRALO and went forward in good faith.

It is not that we in the Caribbean do not have candidates for both posts, it
is that we attempted to proceed in a spirit of cooperation which was
obviously rejected by our LA friends. By the fact of sheer numbers of LA,
rather than the capability of the Caribbean that the election was won. The
fact that there was only one nomination for each post from LA suggests that
LA was unanimous, determined and resolute to capture everything.

I note with much sadness the complaints that the Caribbean leveled in
relation to representation under LACRALO and the fact that all the posts are
now nestled in LA can be no comfort to the Caribbean. At a time when we
should be going forward confidently, there is much uncertainty. What
happened in CR could have been easily avoided if there was not this attempt
to flout the rules by sheer numbers. In our democratic part of the world,
rules are rules and when a process is started it would be less than
transparent to curtail the process and, to say the least, of poor taste.

That LA did not recognise the importance of the Diversity Motion by Cintra
above an intention to hold elections, speaks volumes because this was one of
the best initiatives towards instituting cooperation within LACRALO. One
could alternatively argue that trying to have the election early in the
agenda was a ploy by LA not to have the diversity motion brought to the
floor because they knew that the election motion breached protocol and that
it would have met with opposition. Furthermore, the long delays by the
Chairman to move forward the business of the Meeting could be described as
either poor chairmanship or a deliberate act.

Finally, if an AG could be so encumbered by its rules of procedure, then
what does that say about the rules? Quite frankly, I have never witnessed
anything of this nature. I believe we may have made history. It was my hope
that as Secretariat we would address these problems face-on so that
cooperation thrives in LACRALO. I even started re-phrasing the rules so that
they would be clear and had planned to circulate these for discussion, if I
was elected. Rules are very important and cannot be left with too many
loopholes as the current rules do. Also this matter of resorting to invoking
UN Rules is like emulsifying a liquid so that it don't run smoothly and
easily anymore but in globules. Our rules can be clear without any need to
resort to anybody else's rules. Hence, one could conclude that what happened
in Costa Rica was inevitable and would probably happen the same way again
tomorrow if nothing is done to address the issues.

I therefore look forward to seeing a very proactive Secretariat in this
regard.

ROK
Roosevelt O. King
Secretary General
Barbados Association of Non Governmental Organisations
#10 Garrison, St. Michael
Barbados, Caribbean
Tel: (246) 822-7707 / 254-5815
=F3n_de_? == Windows-1252? Q? = 09la_Secretar =EDa_de_LACRALO_t =
E9rmino_de_un_a? == Windows-1252? Q? =F1o_ = 09de_04_de_mayo_2012? =

[[--Translated text (es -> en)--]]

Subject: Re: =? Windows-1252? Q? Resultados_de_la_Elecci = F3n_de_? ==
From: salgueiro.jo at gmail.com

Congratulations to Sylvia by Josy strong result.

This leads me to think that the ridiculous we did in the Assembly in San
Josfue unnecessary since this result was the same as obtained hubiramos all.

The Caribbean was not able or San Josni now to put a candidate with the
capacity to obtain a votacin important.

I hope that now if you can work as expected from our organizaciny without
the narrow interests that previously demonstrated

JosSalgueiro

Sent from my BlackBerry Movistar