[lac-discuss-en] Roosevelt King - Answers to questions for the nominees for the Secretariat of LACRALO

admin at bango.org.bb admin at bango.org.bb
Tue Apr 24 18:14:33 UTC 2012

Members,

Please see responses to questions in wiki and reproduced below the link:
https://community.icann.org/display/LACRALO/2012+Election+Call+-+LACRALO+Chair+and+Secretariat?focusedCommentId=31178011&#comment-31178011

Roosevelt King
Response to Question 1:
What is the experience in secretariat management and administration at an
organizational level?

I am the Secretary General of the Barbados Association of Non Governmental
Organisations (BANGO) has been playing the role of Secretariat for
organisations since its inception in 1997. BANGO was established
specifically to play this role and has been the National Focal point for
Civil Society in Barbados; officially recognised by government in this
capacity since 2002. This is a secretariat role catering to over 1200 NGOs
on the island, with a responsibility to feed-up information and local
knowledge from the grassroots to impact on national policy, as well as to
ensure that they are always well informed.

BANGO is also the secretariat for the Non State Actors (NSA) Panel of
Barbados, which is made up of NGOs, Labour, Private Sector organisations,
Government and the European Union (EU) and the Secretariat for the ACP
(Africa Caribbean and Pacific) Civil Society Forum.

BANGO has been fulfilling the role of secretariat for NGOs in Barbados since
1997. We manage several lists (internet) for Barbados, the Caribbean and the
ACP countries. In its role as secretariat for several developments and
initiatives, BANGO has many years experience interfacing with governments,
national agencies, regional bodies and agencies as well as international
agencies.

In its role as Secretariat for the NSA Panel, we have been interfacing with
the European Union and actually negotiated the establishment of the Panel
between 2005 -2007. The reason for the Panel was to enhance civil society
participation in the EU/ACP Development Cooperation process, governed by the
Cotonou Partnership Agreement 2000. In negotiating this mechanism, the EU in
Barbados duplicated these panels in the six countries making up the OECS,
since it has responsibility for Barbados and the OECS. Hence this initiative
served to enhance participation in seven countries all at once.

We have worked with the Global Environmental Facility (GEF) of the United
Nations (UN) to establish a secretariat for a national and a regional focal
committee for the small grants fund and actually established these
mechanisms within the UNDP System. The secretariat became fully operational,
with BANGO prescribing the terms of references and other arrangements to
establish this secretariat and actually managed the secretariat for a year
to establish the standards of operation, before handing it over to the GEF
fully operational.

We also helped Government establish a Bureau for Returning Nationals, which
gives certain benefits and exemptions to nationals returning home to live
and assists them with fully relocating.

We employ various skills for our secretariat work, including legal services,
secretarial services, graphic artists, researchers, facilitators, trainers,
etc., including a team of proposal writers; depending on what is required.

As advocates and negotiators, we heavily involve our constituencies, because
we strongly believe in win-win solutions to issues and we have learned many
lessons as it relates to coming to consensus on diverse issues and ensuring
that all voices are heard and considered within any national policy and
decision-making exercise.

We have led many teams of NGOs into consultations and negotiations with
governments and their institutions as well as international agencies. Of
note are: Coordinating the national civil society consultation of 2000;
leading the Barbados delegation to the Forward Together Conference and
Encounter with the Heads of Governments of CARICOM in 2002; Led the
initiatives of the CARICOM Civil Society Task Force 2002-2003; 2005 National
Civil Society Consultations; The civil society national report to the UN
Human Rights Commission and also now national coordinator for the new UN
Human Rights Reporting System.

I would say that we understand the critical role a secretariat plays,
especially in documenting information, collating reports, keeping minutes,
guiding meetings based on evidence and/or research, interpreting rules and
generally assisting in the implementation of decisions.

I therefore come along with BANGO as an ALS with considerable experience as
a secretariat. BANGO has been a member of LACRALO from its inception and has
been an ALS for much longer. We have been following all along and have
accumulated an archive of information over this time. Hence I was able to
participate in Costa Rica without having to be prompted and did so to the
best of my ability knowing the background of what I was participating in.

Having seen what is happening to LACRALO and knowing that this is simply a
problem of communications and structure, I offer my services to get to the
bottom of this problem. In Costa Rica, I met men and women from Latin
America that one could have a conversation with and be very good friends
with. Indeed, I had some very memorable moments with Latin Americans, for
example, on the occasion of Marcel’s birthday. I met some great people. I
did not meet wild animals. There is therefore no reason we can’t get along
and I offer to ensure that the two sub-regions can solve the communications
problem that will set us on a brighter path.

BANGO’s success rests on its performance as a secretariat at the national,
regional and international levels. Even if we did not have knowledge of the
work of ICANN or LACRALO, the most important point is that we are probably
the most experienced organization in the Caribbean when it comes to
operating a secretariat, whether it is for our NGOs or for the United
Nations. We have done it successfully every time.

You are being called upon to vote for a Secretariat. A knowledge of and
participation in LACRALO is no guarantee of the effectiveness or efficiency
of a Secretariat. Many of you have this experience but the matter of an
proper functioning Secretariat that will not only maintain the high standard
set by the present secretariat but will seek to take that professionalism
one step further for LACRALO is what is required.

A vote for me, is a vote for the stability, cooperation and collaboration
that LACRALO needs in order to give it a bright future. I therefore pledge
sincere dedication and commitment to this task as I seek your vote to be the
best Secretariat the LACRALO has ever had.

Question 2:
For the record, one of the secretariat’s responsibilities has to do with
translation. What do you expect to do so that translations are expedited and
we can comment on public documents before the end of the public comment
period?

Translation is important for there to be participation. Translation also
takes a team and hence requires resources. As the Secretariat for the
Africa, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Civil Society Forum, where the official
languages are English and French, there are many languages in which
documents must also be translated in order to facilitate participation
across Africa and in the Caribbean. We rely on a central translation team
located in Brussels, plus there are many members who volunteer for
translation. This is all coordinated by our secretariat to ensure that the
timely delivery of translated documents.

In the case of ICANN, resources must be allocated by ICANN for such an
important aspect (similar to the ACP). However, in terms of LACRALO, we have
in Barbados, the Venezuelan Institute which is part of the Venezuelan
embassy in Barbados and they offer free courses in Spanish and we can rely
on them to assist us with translation. We also have some volunteers who are
part of BANGO that can assist us.

Question 3
How will you ensure that the good work of the Secretariat is maintained? How
you can track the constant and ongoing management you made?

First, once elected, I will ensure that we are properly briefed by the
present Secretariat so that we become even more familiar with the procedures
and processes. This will be to ensure that the standard of the secretariat
is maintained at the high level at which it is operating.

BANGO is very familiar with the elements that make for a good secretariat,
given that we have over 15 years of experience in the field. We have staff
to assist us that will make for a quick and efficient handing over of the
Secretariat, if elected.

ROK
Roosevelt O. King
Secretary General
Barbados Association of Non Governmental Organisations
#10 Garrison, St. Michael
Barbados, Caribbean
Tel: 247-822-7707
e-mail: admin at bango.org.bb