[lac-discuss-en] Fwd: The end of Internet privacy

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 17:23:21 UTC 2012

FYI/A:
Note, this is NOT a US-only issue.  At least not if you use, for examples,
FB, Gmail or Hotmail!

Act in your interest.

- CAS

==============================
Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799
=============================

Dear friends,

 <http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa_corporate_global/?cl=1736189382&v=13710>

Right now, corporations like *Microsoft and Facebook are supporting a
powerful new law that would allow the US to spy on almost everything we do
online*. But if enough of us speak out, we can demand that the corporations
withdraw their support and *stop the cyber-spying. Join the call:*

[image: Take action]<http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa_corporate_global/?cl=1736189382&v=13710>
Right now, *the US is poised to pass a new law that would permit US agents
to spy on almost everything we do online.* But we can stop them before the
final vote.

Companies that we trust with our personal information, like *Microsoft and
Facebook, are key supporters of this bill* that lets corporations share all
user activity and content with US government agents without needing a
warrant in the name of cyber-security -- nullifying privacy guarantees for
almost everyone around the world, no matter where we live and surf online.

If enough of us speak out, *we can stop companies that profit from our
business from supporting cyber-spying.* Sign the petition to these key net
corporations now:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa_corporate_global/?vl<http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa_corporate_global/?cl=1736189382&v=13710>

The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) would allow
companies doing business in the US to *collect exact records of all of our
online activities and hand them over to the US government, without ever
notifying us* that we are being watched. No warrant, no legal cause and no
due process required. To make matters worse, the bill provides the
government and corporations with blanket immunity to protect them from
being sued for violation of privacy and other illegal actions.

The bill’s supporters claim that consumer information will be protected,
but the reality is that *huge loopholes would make everything we do online
fair game -- and nowadays, from banking to shopping, our private
information is all stored on the Internet*.

CISPA is being moved forward in Congress and will be voted upon in days. *Let’s
raise a massive outcry to stop corporations from giving the US a blank
check to monitor our every move*. Click below to take action:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa_corporate_global/?vl<http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa_corporate_global/?cl=1736189382&v=13710>

This year, we helped stop SOPA, PIPA and ACTA -- all dire threats to the
Internet. Now, let’s block CISPA and end the US government attack on our
Internet.

WIth hope and determination,

Dalia, Allison, Emma, Ricken, Rewan, Andrew, Wen-Hua, and the rest of the
Avaaz team

More information:

CISPA: The internet finds a new enemy (Global Post)
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/the-grid/cispa-the-internet-finds-new-enemy-sopa

CISPA protests begin amid key changes to legislation (Los Angeles Times)
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-cispa-protests-begin-amid-key-changes-to-legislation-20120416,0,5314596.story

Cybersecurity Bill FAQ: The Disturbing Privacy Dangers in CISPA and How To
Stop It (Electronic Frontier Foundation)
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/04/cybersecurity-bill-faq-disturbing-privacy-dangers-cispa-and-how-you-stop-it
 <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/04/cybersecurity-bill-faq-disturbing-privacy-dangers-cispa-and-how-you-stop-it>

New CISPA Draft Narrows Cybersecurity Language as Protests Loom (Mashable)
http://news.yahoo.com/cispa-draft-narrows-cybersecurity-language-protests-loom-134202431.html

 *Support the Avaaz Community!*   We're entirely funded by donations and
receive no money from governments or corporations. Our dedicated team
ensures even the smallest contributions go a long way.
<https://secure.avaaz.org/en/donate_to_avaaz/?cl=1736189382&v=13710>

------------------------------
 *
Avaaz.org is a 13-million-person global campaign network* that works to
ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global
decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz
members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 19
countries on 6 continents and operates in 14 languages. Learn about some of
Avaaz's biggest campaigns here<http://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights.php/?footer>,
or follow us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/Avaaz> or
Twitter<http://twitter.com/Avaaz>
.

This message was sent to carlton.samuels at gmail.com. To change your email
address, language, or other information, contact us via this
form<http://avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer>.