[lac-discuss-en] Motions for consideration

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 15:58:30 UTC 2012

See my thoughts inline.
- Carlton

==============================
Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799
=============================

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:36 AM, Jacqueline Morris
<jam at jacquelinemorris.com>wrote:

> Hi
> A few comments:
>
> The first thing I noticed in the definition of Latin America is that
> Brasil is totally left out, being neither Caribbean nor
> Spanish-speaking.

Solution: Define the landmass coordinates and note the exceptions for those
who are members of CARICOM that are so situated.

> The idea of alternating Presidents and Secretariats for one-year terms
> will make continuity difficult. It takes more than one year to get
> fully up and running. Swapping out officers every year will basically
> have the LACRALO administration more dependent on Staff and less
> effective.

I agree.  An amendment to the motion can always be entertained. Or, the
motion can be withdrawn for this amendment without prejudice now.

> With regard to individual participation, I'm not sure how this will
> work. Is each individual going to count as an ALS with the aggregate
> of them counting as no more than 50% of the ALSes in each country?

The important concept is 'aggregate'.  And that is just for voting purposes
if it comes to that. One individual member to infinity from anywhere and
everywhere in LAC  counts as 50% in aggregate of the incumbent Country
Coefficient.  As an example, the Country Coefficient lately is 6.67. If
there are 50 of them today, each of their votes would be worth 6.67/50;
0.1334 for the count!

> So
> if, for example, in a country with one ALS, and 1 individual member,
> does the individual have the same weight of vote as the ALS?

No, not by the arithmetic! See above.