[lac-discuss-en] Online Privacy Rights - To be....or not to Be?

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 22:06:05 UTC 2012

Quick to respond to the publication of the WH Policy Framework on consumer
rights and online privacy, the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) - those
with interests in monetizing knowledge of your online behaviours - have put
out a response of sort; they will work with browser providers to make
'opt-out' mechanisms both uniform and 'right there available'.

By golly,  you Mr & Mrs John Q. Public, will decide on how 'private' you
wish to be.  See pdf attachment.

Some say well, ok, but you can't 'opt-out' everywhere! How about them
'first-party sites? Guess what they be [and to whom] those belong? Right,
you get a prize....the Brooklyn Bridge is on its way....

Not particularly mind-blowing, to be honest. How else are we going to
afford all these free tools, I ask? There are no free lunches.

Maybe a case of feeling the hand of Esau even as we hear the voice of
Jacob!

See:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/27/technology/opt-out-provision-would-halt-some-but-not-all-web-tracking.html

- Carlton