[lac-discuss-en] [At-Large] Twitter & Country-specific Censorship of Content

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Thu Feb 2 09:57:18 UTC 2012

Earlier this evening I attended a book launch for Rebecca Mackinnon's
'Consent of the Networked'  (Avri was there too.)
http://consentofthenetworked.com/

Rebecca was asked about this and responded that, after informal talks
with Twitter, she gathered that it only applied to countries where
they actually had a physical presence, offices or servers. Thailand is
apparently in that number.

Furthermore, she said, with a degree of uncertainty, while Twitter
would block illegal content in any jurisdiction, she said there would
1) be a notice that the content was blocked, 2) a "I am not in this
jurisdiction" opt-out button which instantly would reveal the content.
The content would, naturally still be viewable in all other
jurisdictions..

She did criticize Twitter for not joining the GNI.

On the face of it it seems they are clarifying a policy of doing the
minimum possible to toe the line.

See also http://www.anuntul.eu/wordpress/groups/public-policy/forum/topic/why-twitters-new-policy-is-helpful-for-free-speech-advocates/

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 2:53 AM, Lutz Donnerhacke <lutz at iks-jena.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 12:16:56PM -0500, Carlton Samuels wrote:
>> See how this plays out?
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jan/27/twitter-faces-censorship-backlash?intcmp=239
>>
>> One company, one country......
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/30/thailand-backs-twitter-censorship-policy
>>

>> ...so now, what do we have here? Principles or Interests?
>
> Google goes the same way ... So we get an bunch of Nationets instead of an
> Internet. But, that's internale company policy. And companies are bound to
> local law. We are observing simple consequences.

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com