[lac-discuss-en] [At-Large] [WHOIS-WG] EU Data Protection - Legislative Agenda

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 20:45:25 UTC 2012

On 1/27/12, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
<salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Hope you are having an excellent new year! I was very excited to be alerted
> by Carlton Samuels on proposed reforms by the European Commission. Thank
> you Fatima for the subsequent links sent.
>
> The preliminary public surveys, fact sheets are quite interesting. . This
> is interesting in lights of the recent reported items about Twitter and
> changing Google Policies.
>
> I also find it interesting that options are not given to consumers etc
> especially where you have players over the net who have "significant market
> power". For example, for a gmail user with the policy revisions, there is
> no such thing as consultation, it's merely arbitrary revision and with no
> options not to accept the revisions etc.

http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2012/01/setting-record-straight-about-our.html

So, here’s the real story:

   * You still have choice and control. You don’t need to log in to
use many of our services, including Search, Maps and YouTube. If you
are logged in, you can still edit or turn off your Search history,
switch Gmail chat to “off the record,” control the way Google tailors
ads to your interests, use Incognito mode on Chrome, or use any of the
other privacy tools we offer.
   * We’re not collecting more data about you. Our new policy simply
makes it clear that we use data to refine and improve your experience
on Google — whichever products or services you use. This is something
we have already been doing for a long time.
   * We’re making things simpler and we’re trying to be upfront about
it. Period.
   * You can use as much or as little of Google as you want. For
example, you can have a Google Account and choose to use Gmail, but
not use Google+. Or you could keep your data separate with different
accounts -- for example, one for YouTube and another for Gmail.

Whether this is acceptable or not