[lac-discuss-en] RES: GENERAL ASSEMBLY LACRALO 2012 - SAN JOSE, COSTA RICA

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Mon Jan 9 23:09:29 UTC 2012

I think we need to agree to disagree on the value of face to face meetings.
I don't personally see the need for General Assemblies funded by ICANN, and
LACRALO is the only RALO asking for them regularly.

However, if LACRALO wants one, it needs to have that put into the budget
TOMORROW for 2012-2013. There was no budget item for a GA in the 2011-2012
budget. There WAS funding for 6 ALS reps plus the Officers of the RALO to
go to Costa Rica in the 2011-2012 budget, and LACRALO gave up the funding
to AFRALO for the Dakar meeting. I presumed when I saw that agreement on
the list several months ago, that the idea of a GA in Costa Rica had been
cancelled.

I agree that it would be perfect for companies that make $$ off the
Internet to support end-user participation, which is why I suggested months
ago before we gave up the funding from ICANN that we did have, that we
supplement ICANN's funding for our 6 + 5 representatives by getting
sponsorship from such companies to bring the rest of the ALSes. That
suggestion was not acted upon.

I still believe that the showcase is a valuable undertaking, and it is
budgeted for 2011-2012, so there is the small funding for that event
remaining.

Jacqueline A. Morris
Technology should be like oxygen: Ubiquitous, Necessary, Invisible and
Free. (after Chris Lehmann <http://twitter.com/chrislehmann> )