[lac-discuss-en] Public Comments on Facial Recognition Technology - [U.S.] Federal Trade Commission

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 17:25:10 UTC 2012

...note the areas for which they are seeking comments, especially wrt the
way they juxtaposed consumer benefits with privacy and security concerns!

If you ask me, here's a case where they're trying to shut the gate when the
horse has already bolted.  But it's good that they are now attempting to
alert the general public about these matters.  Because like it or not, it's
coming to an airport near you.

BTW, as technology goes, this is ancient! I first came across this stuff as
a young engineer sub-contracted to a major federal contractor.  And that
was back in 1988!  At the time, we were struggling to figure out how a
'database match' could be made very quickly against the dozens of points
read and translated from the digitized picture.

  http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2011/12/facefacts.shtm