[lac-discuss-en] Geographic Regions Discussion

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 13:33:11 UTC 2011

I was a member of the Geographic Regions WG chaired by  ccNSO member David
Archbold of the neighbouring Cayman Islands which by virtue of political
allegiance, is counted as EURALO in the At-Large. Members listened, read,
analysed and digested reams of data and information on the issue.  And from
all of this work and active participation, we eventually prepared a
consensus report.

The WG took a great deal of effort to  validate the uses of geographic
region concept in ICANN.  We found and reported the principal use was
diversity in representation.

The WG also found that the concept of a defined land mass in the geographic
region was not consistent across ICANN. The recommendation was to make this
consistent and harmonize the meaning and substance by settling on that used
by the RIRs for all of ICANN.

Even with harmonized land mass, the principal issue of representation -
effective representation - remains. And the WG strongly believed that for
better or worse, countries should be afforded the possibility to ally
themselves to regions they feel would be more representative of their own
views.  This is especially true for countries in near proximity to a
regional line.  This is the purpose of the self-selection advice. Note
well, this means representation in name and numbers policy development, the
ICANN enterprise.

We are unanimous that the Caribbean - all members of CARICOM - is and
remain indivisible.  Our principal objective, as per the geographic region
rationale, is effective representation.

Caribbean experiences in international institutions when lumped with Latin
America has always been a challenge. And we in the Caribbean are acutely
aware of this history. At the origination of LACRALO, there were very
strong submissions for this to be recognized in our bye-laws. I personally
opposed those views because I thought the new and exciting paradigm that
was the Internet and ideas of its governance would make the difference.

Time has proved me wrong. I am now willing to acknowledge that what began
as a noble utopian objective has caught up with us.  Because contrary to my
own idealistic objective, the language and cultural differences between
Latin America and the Caribbean have proven intractable and too much of a
time-consuming exercise which, without exception, does not add value to
ICANN matters.

We are unanimous that in the matter of self selection of regional
association, it is a 'all or none' decision for the Caribbean.   Any
decision to change region by one will and should trigger all to make the
same change.

And, we shall insist that continued participation requires our effective
representation.

- Carlton