[lac-discuss-en] Fwd: Vote for ALAC/At-Large Improvements Project Milestone Report

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 15:57:56 UTC 2011

Explaining my "NO" vote.

==============================
Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799
=============================

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: ALAC/At-Large Improvements Project Milestone Report
To: At-Large Staff <staff at atlarge.icann.org>
Cc: "ALAC-excom at atlarge-lists.icann.org" <alac-excom at atlarge-lists.icann.org

Per WT B, I am fundamentally opposed to a 'sanctions' regime - or any loose
talk of 'sanctions'! - for a volunteer operation!  Not only is this
counterintuitive but inimical to the public interest.

Yes to JDs and 'objective' performance criteria.  Just like the case of
civil elections returning common fools and confirmed halfwits from time to
time, let's hew to the process for the corrective.

The response for non-performance for those who are voted in is to be voted
down. Or, at minimum, encourage those who vote to see the errors of their
ways with education and information.

For those appointed, the obvious response is to improve vetting before
appointment. Or, in egregious circumstances, institute a program for
recalling the commission.

On principle, I cannot and will not agree to any setup where a valid and in
all cases legally-conforming vote is responsible for conferring authority
and that is overturned because of 'non-performance' without recourse to the
voters.

Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799