[lac-discuss-en] [ALAC-ExCom] ALAC/At-Large Improvements Project -- important update

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue Oct 11 23:04:57 UTC 2011

Carlton,

On 11/10/2011 15:49, Carlton Samuels wrote :
> As I have already stated, I cannot vote for any report that recommends
> "sanctions" on volunteers, even if they are yet to be determined.  The
> state of mind that delivers this gem can only be repudiated for cause.

Take imaginary example candidate A, ALAC member, does not attend calls,
does not attend meetings, or when he travels, uses their time outside of
the ALAC room. A does not get involved in ALAC & other working groups. A
is basically using their affiliation to ALAC as something that looks
good on their CV. Admittedly, this is an extreme, but Carlton, at the
moment, nothing can be done about that person, and that imaginary person
is occupying a seat on the ALAC, one of the only 15 seats of people
supposed to act in the best interests of the 2.1Bn Internet users out
there. That person is failing those 2.1Bn people. That person is not
accountable.

Yes, that person is a volunteer, but when you volunteer for ALAC, you're
not doing it as a piece of fun. There is a deep responsibility that goes
along with that. There is accountability to users in the rest of the world.

But in any case, this debate is premature. We're at an intermediate
stage, with more than 50 recommendations in this report, some of which
are completed, some of which need to be taken to the next stage. The
debate on sanctions/no sanctions will happen later. (and in Dakar we
have a session on metric which might touch on that... or we might have
to wait until after Dakar. In any case, there will be plenty of times to
debate this)

Warmest regards,

Olivier

--