[lac-discuss-en] translation software

kent kent at icann.org
Thu Aug 11 09:02:19 UTC 2011

My apologies for the recent non-functioning state of the automatic list
translation software.  By an unfortunate coincidence, Google's
translation interface stopped working at about the same time that I
updated the software to make the changes mentioned in my note of August
2.  (Google had announced earlier that this could happen at any time.)

It took a while to convince myself that the failures weren't simply a
flaw in the code.  But ultimately I backed out all the changes I had
made, and the failure continued.

It seems unlikely that Google will completely abandon the work they did
in this area, so one might expect that a different (possibly commercial)
implementation will be available presently.  However there are of course
no guarantees.

In the meantime I have modified the code to use the old Alta Vista
"babelfish" interface, to at least get some functionality back on line.

As always, please don't hesitate to contact me, David Closson, or
"tech-support at icann.org" if you experience problems.

Best Regards
Kent