[lac-discuss-en] [lac-discuss-es] Election NomCom lacralo

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Aug 4 23:09:34 UTC 2011

Dear Carlos,

this is not an electoral process. The process is the selection by the
ALAC of a candidate to sit in the Nominating Committee. The selection
will be undertaken by the ALAC. The RALOs can forward the list of
candidates they suggest to the ALAC. There is actually no need to make a
pre-selection and in fact, a RALO can send a list of more than one
candidate to the ALAC.
The RALO can send advice on as many or as few candidates to the ALAC as
they want, but the final choice is made by the ALAC, not the RALOs.

For your information, here is a copy of the by-laws regarding NomCom
nominees:

Section 4. CRITERIA FOR SELECTION OF NOMINATING COMMITTEE DELEGATES

Delegates to the ICANN Nominating Committee shall be:

1. Accomplished persons of integrity, objectivity, and intelligence,
with reputations for sound judgment and open minds, and with experience
and competence with collegial large group decision-making;
2. Persons with wide contacts, broad experience in the Internet
community, and a commitment to the success of ICANN;
3. Persons whom the selecting body is confident will consult widely and
accept input in carrying out their responsibilities;
4. Persons who are neutral and objective, without any fixed personal
commitments to particular individuals, organizations, or commercial
objectives in carrying out their Nominating Committee responsibilities;
5. Persons with an understanding of ICANN's mission and the potential
impact of ICANN's activities on the broader Internet community who are
willing to serve as volunteers, without compensation other than the
reimbursement of certain expenses; and
6. Persons who are able to work and communicate in written and spoken
English.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Kind regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD