[lac-discuss-en] changes to translation software

Kent Crispin kent at icann.org
Tue Aug 2 05:19:07 UTC 2011

The automatic list translation software was updated.  There are two changes of note:

1) The software now detects when the google back end chokes on a too-large translation
request.  When this error is detected, instead of translated text the forwarded
message will contain an error indication.  [By trial and error, the maximum size the
translation engine allows seems to be something over 4kb.  This may be
non-deterministic, since the input and the output may be different wide character
sets.]

2) message threads tended grow larger and larger messages, because they contain
ever-larger quoted blocks from previous messages.  Now we don't attempt to translate
quoted text at all -- in some cases this reduced the amount of text sent to the
translation by a large amount.

As always, if you detect any problems with this software, please let me know.

Best Regards
Kent Crispin