[lac-discuss-en] Fwd: The Interim LACRALO Presidency

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Wed Jul 13 17:48:08 UTC 2011

Not necessarily agreeing with all of the points, but I do think that:
1 - In the interim, LACRALO needs someone who can hit the ground
running, who is familiar with the issues and actors with whom LACRALO
and ALAC are currently negotiating these issues.
2 - LACRALO needs experience and knowledge and familiarity of the
organisations and actors within ICANN in order to manage our positions
especially with the difficult issues on the table right now. Vanda has
that knowledge and familiarity, and proven experience in negotiating
and dealing with ALL of the various actors in ICANN.
3 - I also think that Vanda's language skills will be especially useful.

A lot of points have been raised about new blood vs experience. I
agree that new people should be encouraged to participate and
eventually take on leadership roles, but given that this is a mid-term
position, I don't think that now is a good time for someone totally
new, who does not know and is not known by the actors and groups
within ICANN. Those relationships are extremely important in getting
things done, and take time to build.

My suggestion is that LACRALO work on a leadership training type
programme, where potential future leaders of LACRALO are involved and
introduced to the various players in the ICANN field, and are
supported by the more experienced members of LACRALO in finding their
way in the political policy landscape of ICANN and building the
relationships that allow them to be effective in positioning the views
of the region in the policy processes of ICANN.

In sum, I support Vanda for the interim position of President of
LACRALO, and suggest that the other candidates for leadership
positions work with her to be better able to be effective in the
future.

Jacqueline A. Morris
Technology should be like oxygen: Ubiquitous, Necessary, Invisible and
Free. (after Chris Lehmann )