[lac-discuss-en] incorrect links to budget issue

Cintra Sooknanan cintra.sooknanan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 11:40:44 UTC 2011

Hello everyone

I have made some changes to the google document, particularly to assist in
readability of the document as follows:

LACRALO comment on ICANN’s Draft FY12 Operating Plan and Budgetdraft
http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-es/2011/002768.html|
http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-es/2011/002768.html])The
Latin American and Caribbean Regional At-Large Organisation (LACRALO), being
the Internet end-user representatives in Latin America and the Caribbean
(LAC), submits our comments regarding ICANN's Draft FY12 Operating Plan and
Budget http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#op-budget-fy12).We appreciate
the dialogue and feedback from ICANN Financial Staff to evaluate the
ALAC/At-Large budget requests that were submitted for inclusion in ICANN's
draft Operational Plan and Budget 2012. We wish to see such dialogue
continue in future Operational Plans and Budgets.WHowever, we, the
representatives of end users of the Internet in Latin America and the
Caribbean (LAC),  note with considerable concern that, once again, many of
the budget requests (
http://forum.icann.org/lists/op-budget-fy2012/pdfUNwycLKGih.pdf) proposed by
At-Large (http://forum.icann.org/lists/op-budget-fy2012/pdfUNwycLKGih.pdf) to
improve participation in ICANN of user organizations in ICANN, (the
basefoundation
base of the pyramid on which sits the "multi -stakeholder model" sits,) were
not approved or only partially approved.

>From our proposals, the budget for a General Assembly (GA) has been cut to
an extent where only 6 ALS representatives will be funded to attend. The LAC
region has more than 30 ALSs representatives accredited.

It is impossible to have a successful General Assembly (GA) without the
in-personphysical presence and face to face interaction of all the ALS
representatives of the region, especially infor a system based ion the
bbottom-up
participation and democratic principles which define ICANN. This view hais
consensus throughout the At -Large community.
These cuts do not only undermine and limit the possibility of real
participation in the proposed annual LACRALO General Assembly (GA), but
also, given that there is no funding approved for in-reach and out-reach in
our region, limit the participation of the end-users of the LAC region in
the overall ICANN process. We appreciate the limited efforts made by ICANN
to date, but we strongly believe that users should have a large, active and
physical presence in all the policy-making processes. There is much more
that can be done. W, but we fear that the budget cuts reflect a lack of
commitment to and show a lack of value offor end-user participation in ICANN
processes.We believe that, given ICANN’s fiscal resources, this budget can
easily be adjusted to ensure funds to support the participation of the ALSes
in a General Assembly once a year as well as funds to finance activities
related to in-reach and out-reach, if these are truly considered important
by the Board and Staff of ICANN. Regarding LACRALO's proposals for outreach
that were not approved, we take note of ICANN's Public Participation
Committee (PPC ; http://www.icann.org/en/committees/participation/) Work
Schedule to create a "Comprehensive Stakeholder Outreach and Engagement
Strategy" and look forward to consultations with the PPC to create  such a
strategy so that it can be implemented as soon as possible,. This is
crucially important as there is an At-Large presencerepresentation in only
15 out of 33 countries in the Latin American and Caribbean region.We look
forward to your response and call to discuss the possibilities that our
approach could be as a solution to this dire situation facing those who
maintain their presence throughout the scaffold structure of the
Organization.
Regards

Cintra Sooknanan