[lac-discuss-en] Role of Secretariat to publicize the Work of a LACRALO WG

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Thu May 19 23:39:31 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues:
I've read the exchange between Fatima and Dev Anand with some discomfort.

For I cannot believe what is being questioned is the right of the membership
to know what was being discussed by a WG raised to do a job on its behalf.

It might be useful for all of us to read the charter of the WG again.  And
thereafter, refresh our minds about the role of the Secretariat, as defined
in LACRALO's organizing documents.

WGs are open and transparent in all of their activities.  That is why for
most active WGs, minutes, even recordings of meetings are part of their
operational framework.   And are all PUBLICLY available.  See any number of
ALAC WGs lists and archives as reference.

All this aside, the chartering of a WG in LACRALO does not absolve the
Secretariat of its duty to inform members.  Quite frankly, Dev is so
diligent in his job that I believe it spoils those members who are loath to
work hard at anything, including reading.

Any move in LACRALO to depart from those principles may not, cannot and will
not be supported.

Best,
Carlton