[lac-discuss-en] Response to Susannah Clark - GNSO Global Outreach Initiative

Lance Hinds brainstreetceo at gmail.com
Sat May 14 12:09:49 UTC 2011

Dear Cintra,

It Is not that we reached that point. It was always there hiding behind
bright smiles and promises. Ms. Clark's perspective is instructive but not
surprising. Carlton my brother, your note is timely and right on target.

Lance

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Cintra Sooknanan <
cintra.sooknanan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for this note Carlton, it is certainly an alarming perspective that
> we need to consider but oppose in moving forward with the GNSO and in ICANN
> generally.
>
> I don't think it's memory that is muddling this, rather the evolution of
> the
> Animal Farm. It seems perhaps we have reached the point where "All animals
> are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"
>
> Regards
> Cintra Sooknanan
>

> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Carlton Samuels
> <carlton.samuels at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > In her response to the ALAC’s draft comments on the GNSO’s proposal for a
> > Global Outreach initiative, one Susannah Clark bemoaned the ALAC’s loss
> of
> > way and the urgent need to remedy it by talking to end users without
> > filters.
> >

> > See http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-global-outreach/msg00001.html
> >

> > If the comment rested there, one could be philosophical and treat it as
> > fair
> > comment in a political 3-card game.  But then it went on to wax nostalgic
> > for the good old days when the At-Large was simply bursting at its
> vibrant
> > seams with all those participants.  She mourned the pricked virtue that
> was
> > the last  ‘democratic At large elections of 2000’ and the equality of
> > access
> > to millions of ordinary Internet users now lost, encumbered as it were by
> > these new and altogether pointless structures.  It was this reference
> that
> > shed the skin to the game.
> >

> > The facts tend to illuminate the author's view of 'democracy' as
> > situational; good only when we like the results.  But absent a certain
> > emotional intelligence, one might confuse this screed with a high-minded
> > regard for the poor unheralded Internet users of Africa, Asia, Latin
> > America
> > and the Caribbean.  Scratch the subtext however and what you find is the
> > rancid swill it covers.  Her real endeavour is to question the legitimacy
> > of
> > current actors in the ICANN community not domiciled in the United States.
> >  Its
> > contemporary – and topical – analogue is “birtherism”.
> >

> > Dear Susannah should know that I, for one, shall not be presenting a pass
> > or
> > any other paper to buttress any claim to legitimacy.  For that would be
> an
> > indignity bordering on the obscene.  I shall rather simply assert my
> > unfettered right to be involved and engaged.
> >

> >  I willingly concede that neither the ALAC nor, for that matter, the
> > At-Large, are all that they could be.  But, thankfully, they ain’t all
> that
> > they “used to was”! However Susannah and fellow travelers would have you
> [...]

Lance Hinds
Chief Technology Officer
BrainStreet Group
287 'C' Albert St.
Georgetown Guyana

This message contains information that may be privileged and/or confidential
and is the property of BrainStreet Technologies or BrainStreet Learning. The
information contained herein is intended only for the individual or entity
to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it . If you are not
the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy,
disseminate, distribute, or take  any action in reliance to the contents of
this information or any part thereof and it may be unlawful to do so. If you
receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete all copies of this message from your system. BrainStreet Technologies
or BrainStreet Learning are neither liable for the proper and complete
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor any
delay in its receipt.