[lac-discuss-en] [ALAC] JAS New gTLD Applicant Support WG Charter

SAMUELS,Carlton A carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Fri Jan 14 22:32:35 UTC 2011

Here is where I stand.

The At-Large consensus that ICANN seek ways to enable effective participation of hitherto disadvantaged groups in the new gTLD economy is now an article of faith. It is critically important that this initiative is not reduced to a situation that is fashioned to appear as if it is about mendicants scavenging for bones.  Or, crabs trying to escape the barrel with the familiar and predictable results.

There are significant pockets in the ICANN community, who, from their postures and words, have messaged their interpretation: charity for the undeserving.

We have our views on the politics of it.  We are unanimous in dissent.

I am disinclined to go back on the ALAC Charter because it reflects what I believe the At-Large community supports for this Applicant Support initiative.  I do not believe that further attempts to harmonize the ALAC and Neumann-inspired GNSO charters will bear fruit.  So be it.

The At-Large community must move along and stick to its principles.

Carlton