[lac-discuss-en] [At-Large] ICANN blog : US Government Opposes Launch of New gTLD Program in Cartagena

Antony Van Couvering avc at namesatwork.com
Fri Dec 3 23:21:07 UTC 2010

Carlton,

A shot across the bow.  I have to agree.  First consider the timing -- just before the ICANN meeting, when everyone going is on a plane with limited connectivity.  This is true to form, Commerce always sends their letter at about this time.

The letter is almost angry; it's certainly emotional. But all the events that it refers to happened weeks ago, surely long enough ago for a seasoned government official to cool down a bit.

Second, consider the content -- the letter refers almost exclusively to the AoC, which is applauded by everyone (see http://www.icann.org/en/affirmation/affirmation-reaction.htm).  It says that ICANN has to honor its commitments as defined by the AoC -- which I think everyone will agree it should.

Here's what the AoC (see xxx) says in regard to gTLDs:

9.3 Promoting competition, consumer trust, and consumer choice: ICANN will ensure that as it contemplates expanding the top-level domain space, the various issues that are involved (including competition, consumer protection, security, stability and resiliency, malicious abuse issues, sovereignty concerns, and rights protection) will be adequately addressed prior to implementation. If and when new gTLDs (whether in ASCII or other language character sets) have been in operation for one year, ICANN will organize a review that will examine the extent to which the introduction or expansion of gTLDs has promoted competition, consumer trust and consumer choice, as well as effectiveness of (a) the application and evaluation process, and (b) safeguards put in place to mitigate issues involved in the introduction or expansion.

Essentially, since all of prior-to-implementation things have been addressed (to the greater or lesser satisfaction of various parties), the argument is over whether they have been "adequately addressed."   Frankly, that's a matter of opinion.  Some (me for instance) will say that they have addressed to death.  Others will argue that they won't be adequately addressed until ICANN agrees with their viewpoint -- see, for instance, the endless series of economic studies that have failed to satisfy opponents of gTLDs.  (There's a nice write-up of these by Milton Mueller at http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2010/12/3/4694980.html).

The Department of Commerce seems to think that ICANN hasn't followed the AoC; ICANN seems to think it has.  This is always the problem with vague promises.

In the late 90s, DoC took over from Postel and the nascent IAHC and created ICANN.  That was then, it was a different world.  Now other governments feel they have an interest; they watch ICANN closely, they participate, they are beginning to understand the issues and to take positions that differ from those of the U.S.  In particular, they don't like the idea of the DoC acting unilaterally (as it did in creating ICANN).  And the AoC speaks to that too, by affirming the enhanced role of the GAC.

The U.S. has been doing a lot of unilateral acting lately, seizing domains and so on, causing businesses to consider relocating, using ccTLDs that are outside of U.S. jurisdiction, and so on.  I can imagine that this is not sitting very well with some governments who prefer multilateral decisions.  I have to believe that the recent domain seizures will not strengthen the authority of the U.S. position with other GAC members.

So, yes, it's a shot across the bow, but all it can do is express displeasure with ICANN's interpretation of its duties under the AoC.  There is no obvious "violation."  ICANN has just released the latest economic study, which says absolutely nothing (as such studies inevitably do when trying to predict the future).  It can certainly easily supply additional reasoning for its VI decision, or any other decision it has made, and it probably should.  But these are deficits that are easily rectified.

In essence, the DoC seems angry at ICANN for announcing that it's going ahead with gTLDs without explicit DoC permission, which is specifically *not* required by the AoC.

Antony