[lac-discuss-en] Candidates to raise Icann

SAMUELS,Carlton A carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Wed Nov 24 11:22:00 UTC 2010

I notice this drift to see the world as we would wish as opposed to seeing the world as it is. And an abysmal misunderstanding how corporate Boards actually work.

Some basic facts: The ICANN Board conducts its business in English.  Board papers are done in English and so far as I know, the discussions tend to be in English.  As such, English proficiency, especially in conversational English, is the pre-eminent language skill required for effective board work.

The At-Large wants a Board member who can talk TO the Board and argue from an At-Large perspective IN the Board meetings. We are not sending a member to the Board to stroke us!  And if you need to wait to take the temperature of the At-Large - not just LACRALO but the entire At-Large! - before you feel 'our' Board member is empowered to make an argument in favour of the At-Large perspective, I say this with respect for all my colleagues, 'our' Board member will soon be irrelevant to Board activities.

Carlton