[lac-discuss-en] in the translations

SAMUELS,Carlton A carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Mon Nov 22 22:37:51 UTC 2010

I am amazed that we continue to beat this dead horse.   Fact: we do not now have a good automated translation engine for this list;  Google Translate is better.

Process: Send your content to the list supporting your language; lac-discuss-en at atlarge-lists.icann.org for English, lac-discuss-es at atlarge-lists.icann.org for Spanish.

Alternative: For Spanish speakers, if you want a better translation for the original English content contributed, subscribe to the English list, get the content in English, cut and paste it to Google Translate and get your translation.  If you use Gmail as your mail service it is even easier; you translate it directly by simply setting a switch in your mail setup.  For native English speakers, substitute Spanish in all places you see English in the preceding instruction.

The language issue and your facility in use - becomes acute in the ICANN world when general discussions and 'hallway talk' becomes important to acquiring information and knowledge. LACRALO fought hard for translation services and we are light years ahead of where we began.

All this aside, English remains the working language in the ICANN world and translation services cover only one VERY small portion of engagements.  This is one that we must continue to fight for even as we recognize that we are going against the general stream here.

Carlton