[lac-discuss-en] BCEC Slate of candidates finalised.

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Fri Oct 29 03:27:42 UTC 2010

Here is a report of the BCEC on the selection process for the new At Large
Board member (Seat 15). We have determined a slate of three (3) candidates
from te applications received for the AtLarge to vote on. Do remember that
there is a petition process available if your preferred candidate is not in
the list, but that THREE (3) RALOs need to sign the petition to get another
name on the slate for the AtLarge electorate to consider.

It was a very intense work period, but the BCEC managed to work together in
a spirit of collegiality and unity,and I believe that we have chosen the
best candidates from the submissions. I would like to congratulate my
colleagues on the BCEC, as well as our non-voting chair, Cheryl, for moving
through a dificult process in such a productive way. I'd also like to thank
LACRALO for nominating us (James and me) to be your representatives for this
important and ground-breaking task.

Jacqueline

The BCEC concluded their meeting today which has resulted in a slate of
three candidates to forward to ALAC in its election process for its new
seat on the ICANN Board of Directors.

A total of 43 Statements of Interest were received by the Board Candidate
Evaluation Committee for the position of At-Large Board Director. Out of
these 43 applications, 21 were deemed to be too incomplete to proceed
further. Of the remaining 22 Statements, 16 applicants are not currently
active in the At-Large community while 6 are currently active. Male
applicants (18) made up the vast majority of applicants with 4 female
applicants.  The globally diverse pool of 22 applicants represented a wide
array of professional backgrounds.
The applications were  carefully considered by the BCEC based on the
established criteria in a blind method  where each applicant was re-named
with a number (so the names attached to the SoIs were not known to the BCEC
in this first round).  Five applicants were  selected at this time and their
names were then revealed to the BCEC for round 2.   Round 2 deliberations
were conducted from a fresh or zero sum scoring on criteria, and discussion
points  to establish the selection of the BCEC's preferred applicants for
inclusion on the final slate of three  applicants.

Timeline of the At-Large Director Selection
28 October - 12 November: Campaigning period, including community call for
candidate debate, and RALO discussions on candidates
15-19 November: RALO discussions on candidates continue, and ALAC and RALO
chairs vote for At-Large Director
10 December: Successful candidate takes seat on ICANN Board in Cartegena,
Colombia.

Publication of all 22 applicants names as well as the final slate of 3,
along with BCEC’s diagrams of the process and timeline will be made
available by ICANN staff as soon as possible at the following link:
https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Director+Candidate+2010+Workspace