[lac-discuss-en] Fwd: NA-Discuss Digest, Vol 45, Issue 25

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 13:58:06 CDT 2010

FYI

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:31:25 +0200
From: Volker Greimann <vgreimann at key-systems.net>
To: Garth Bruen at KnujOn <gbruen at knujon.com>,
       na-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org
Subject: Re: [NA-Discuss] Fwd: [WHOIS-WG] Fwd: Roundup of WHOIS Issues
 Dear Garth,
> Thanks again for dumping those domains.
There is nothing to it. Thats what we do everytime we receive a
complaint: Investigate, and if found to be in breach of our policies, we
take down. I hope we can continue working together without resorting to
post each potentially infringing domain name on public lists before
launching a complaint with us.
> Believe it or not, I think we're making progress here.
Each and every illegally used domain name we can take down is a success
for us too. So keep those abuse reports coming, but please, use our
proper abuse channels.

--

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann
- legal department -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:29:04 -0400
From: Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org>
To: Volker Greimann <vgreimann at key-systems.net>
Cc: na-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org
On 28 July 2010 09:31, Volker Greimann <vgreimann at key-systems.net> wrote:

>  Dear Garth,
>
>  Thanks again for dumping those domains.
>>
> There is nothing to it. Thats what we do everytime we receive a complaint:
> Investigate, and if found to be in breach of our policies, we take down. I
> hope we can continue working together without resorting to post each
> potentially infringing domain name on public lists before launching a
> complaint with us.

Perhaps if there was better engagement, there may be a process through which
Knujon will release a draft list of domains to registrars, which would allow
them to act before the list goes public. This would give the opportunities
for the genuine "good actors" to respond as required, while enabling the
"bad actors" (who will ignore or defer the Knujon lists) to be revealed.

And if there are items in the Knujon lists that are indeed legitimate, then
that discrepancy ought to be resolved as well before they go public.

Volker, perhaps you and Michele (if he agrees with this) might again advance
such engagement within the registrar community. It doesn't have to be
everyone; those who choose not to engage are free to stay away, but they
shouldn't prevent those who do want to do the right thing to do so. In this
respect Knujon can be seen as a valuable tool (to help catch the bad domains
that 'slip through the cracks') rather than just a source of confrontation.

> Believe it or not, I think we're making progress here.
>>
> Each and every illegally used domain name we can take down is a success
for
> us too. So keep those abuse reports coming, but please, use our proper
abuse
> channels.

Volker, perhaps it would be in your mutual best interests to meet Garth
part-way here. Asking him to inform registrars in advance of going public,
while expecting him to automate every single registrar's different complaint
system, is not reasonable. Perhaps there is a way to take his lists in a
format that allows you to bulk-process the identified domains.

You already know that Knujon does more than just occasional single
complaints. He is doing you a service and simplifying your task of
identifying illegal and improper registrations. If you're asking him to work
with you rather than to be confrontational, then it makes sense not to put
obstacles in his way of doing that.

- Evan

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:37:57 -0400
From: Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org>
To: Volker Greimann <vgreimann at key-systems.net>
Cc: na-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org

> Volker, perhaps you and Michele (if he agrees with this) might again
> advance such engagement within the registrar community. It doesn't have to
> be everyone; those who choose not to engage are free to stay away, but
they
> shouldn't prevent those who do want to do the right thing to do so. In
this
> respect Knujon can be seen as a valuable tool (to help catch the bad
domains
> that 'slip through the cracks') rather than just a source of
confrontation.

I should add that the technical resources available to NARALO (mailing list
creation, conference call bridge, Doodle) can be made available to you
should such an engagement become possible.

- Evan