[lac-discuss-en] [At-Large] Director White Paper - Request for Comments

Christian de Larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Tue Jan 12 05:53:26 CST 2010

A lot of work has gone into this document but I could not get through even the executive summary which is impenetrable due to an exceptionally deep sprinkling of acronyms. It is obvious that there is a hardening of the veins of who is involved at ICANN and where these terms are presumably obvious.

Some are clearly new even to the authors as they do get explained in the text. But the bulk are left to the Glossary (which is excellent). But a Glossary is a poor excuse for an over exuberance of new building of stuffing in ICANN over recent years whose purposes is not clear nor unambiguous.

One important role At LARGE should have is to keep policies over unique Internet resources accessible to users. This means pruning the profusion of committees, structures, boards and complexity of interactions and politics between them across ICANN by demanding that only entities that have a clear unambiguous and practical role following the Internet model are continued and all such activities have a limited lifespan.

I am very worried by the way users are increasingly isolated by the growing over complexity in structure, language and difficulty to judge relevance and usefulness. How are users who have deep stake in the ultimate outcomes at ICANN to get meaningfully involved when they can spend only a small amount of time and  resource on keeping 'au fait'?

At Large must focus on keeping ICANN down to size and can start doing this on itself.

Christian