[lac-discuss-en] Fwd: [ALAC] Voting for At-Large Director

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Mon Dec 7 09:56:41 CST 2009

I have copied my comments to the LACRALO discuss list for full and
complete disclosure.
Like all of you, I am very keen to have more participation.  But my
preference is for informed participation!   This requires work....and
attention....not just to the vote but before the vote.
Carlton
FWIW, I share the fundamental concerns outlined here by Alan.

I have already outlined on this or other public list my own
perceptions of what is important in deciding the At-Large Board seat;
it begins with a thorough understanding of the role of the Board and
the way Boards work in practice, followed by defining criteria fit to
purpose of selecting candidates who are themselves fit for purpose.
>From my working experience, it is highly desirable that all other
things being equal, a Board member must have the wherewithal and room
to shape decisions, even if your principal position is itself
untenable or does not enjoy majority support.

I know from experience that we have a fairly sizeable contingent of
likely voters who tend to a more visceral decision-making routine;
this is the stuff of the "heart" that was so ably encapsulated in
argument this morning by Christopher Wilkinson. While I do not wish a
"gamed" system, Tricia Drake's very sensible proposal for a hybrid
voting system has some appeal for me because it gives us an
opportunity to embrace the votes of the "heart" as well as those of
the "head".   And it also advances the idea I particularly share with
Alan; the presumption that the vote is fair.

I am also cheered that the Bigpulse expert thinks implementing a
hybrid mechanism that addresses the issues I see is doable and in the
short term.
Carlton