[lac-discuss-en] [At-Large] cctld .hn issue

Andres Piazza andrespiazzagpj at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 30 06:49:04 CDT 2009

> Others, such as as LACTLD have expressed their concern after the action of
> the military forces against the ccTLD operator,

Thanks, Patrick.

On Monday I raised this question and is been having an important treatment in LACRALO List. Also I communicate this to Cheryl and Rudi in order to get ALAC and ccNSO.

 RDS-HN.
> http://www.lactld.org/News_Item.2009-09-27.9610720521
> English http://www.lactld.org/News_Item.2009-09-28.9048048483
>
> RDS-HN has been delegated the management of the .hn TLD under the process
> set forth by RFC1591. The have signed an accountability framework with
> ICANN.  The Hondurian telecom operator Conatel has no such agreement with
> ICANN and did not follow the redelegation process. As such it is an
> illegitimate ccTLD operator.
>
> According to the RFC, TLD operators "are trustees for the delegated
> domain, and have a duty to serve the community." and be "equitable to all
> groups in the domain that request domain names".

This is exactly like that, and this arguments are much easier to raise that politicals (also, because we are not at ICANN At Large to express ourselves about the Legitimacy or not of a Government or some internal law in Honduras).

In LACRALO we are taking a little time to find out some aspects (specially regarding CONATEL) in order to get our own official statement. If you see my proposal there, I´m asking also to get an ALAC´s statement and, even, to raise this to ccNSO and the Board.

> Further,  "Significantly interested parties in the domain should agree
> that the designated manager is the appropriate party" and "transfer of the
> designated manager trusteeship from one organization to another, the IANA
> must receive communications from both the old organization and the new
> organization that assure the IANA that the transfer in mutually agreed".
> Given the way the military have proceeded, I do not think these conditions
> are met.

Totally agree. This particular aspect wasn´t treated in LACRALO. I will copy this response to the regional list and consider to the text.

> I do see risks for the stability of the DNS. Altough I trust Afilias for
> doing the right job as the technical operator of the TLD, it remains that
> Afilias does not have a contract with Conatel, but with RDS-HN. What will
> happen if RDS-HN is unable to pay the bills is an issue. What will happen
> to the domain names registered under .hn is yet another.

I know they are a serious operator, and also the people from Afilias I know like Ken or Desiree are quite trustable. But I´m not 100% sure if we could, as ICANN At Large (or at least as LACRALO) "ask Afilias not to make a contract with Conatel".

> I think the At-Large community should express its concern about the
> situation and encourage ICANN to find a solution to this issue.
>
> Patrick

Definitely.

Regards,

Andrés Piazza