[lac-discuss-en] Welcome the new ALAC Members Appointed by the NomCom

At-Large Staff staff at atlarge.icann.org
Sat Aug 29 00:58:01 CDT 2009

Dear All:

We have the pleasure to provide the following note of the Chair of the ALAC:

----

We have our new NomCom appointees from the Africa, Asia Pacific and
Latin American & Caribbean regions
see http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-28aug09-en.htm.
A Huge Welcome aboard to all of you I look forward to working with all
of you in the ALAC and I'm sure I speak for everyone else in the
Regional, ALS, and wider At-Large when I say we look forward to
incorporating your expertise, views and energy into our policy
development work and discussions over the next 2 years.

--
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
(CLO)

Announcement text for ALAC  NomCom appointments 2009-2011 is copied
below...

*<snip> ALAC*

*James Seng* has been appointed as an At Large Advisory Committee member
from Asia/Australia/Pacific. James will bring his significant expertise
on IDN (internationalized domain names) to bear on At Large discussions,
and can also share his experience of Internet issues in several Asian
countries; including Malaysia, Singapore and China where he now resides.

James is the CEO of Zodiac Holdings, a company focused on IDN gTLDs in
Asia. James is also Chief Technology Officer of the Shanghai Synacast
Media Tech. Co, a member of the Executive Committee of the Singapore
Advance Research and Education Network, and a committee member of the
Internet and New Media Committee of Media Development Authority of
Singapore.

Previously, James has been a partner in Thymos Capital LLP 2007-2008,
and worked as Assistant Director, Next Generation Network, Infocomm
Development Authority of Singapore from 2003-2006. James is or has been
involved in numerous Internet-related groups and committees including
the Asia Pacific IPv6 Task Force, Internet Engineering Task Force,
ICANN's IDN Registry Implementation Committee, Domain Name Technical
Committeeof the Singapore Network Information Center, Asia Pacific
Internet Association. He also served as Co-chair of the IDN Working
Group, Internet Engineering Task Force, 1999-2003 and Chair of the iDNS
Working Group, Asia Pacific Networking Group, 1998-2000.

James' educational background includes a Bachelor of Information
Technology, Software Engineering, Australian National University, 1996-1999

*Carlton Samuels* has been appointed as an At Large Advisory Committee
member from Latin America / Caribbean. Carlton brings significant
Caribbean experience and knowledge, and also an ability to facilitate
consensus-building with the Latin American Internet community from his
work as LACRALO secretariat.

Carlton works as a consultant and an adjunct lecturer at the Information
Science Faculty of Humanities & Education in the University of the West
Indies at Mona Kingston, Jamaica. He is a Jamaican and US national.

Previously, Carlton has worked as CIO & University Director of IT,
University of the West Indies, Managing Director, Mona Informatix, as a
registrar for the .jm ccTLD and VP, Network Systems, Neal & Massy
Corporation as a senior executive with responsibility for regional
network and telecommunications business segment for the largest
Caribbean-based multinational.

Carlton's current and previous volunteer positions include being a
foundation member of and the current secretariat for the Latin America
and Caribbean Regional At-Large Advisory Organization (LACRALO), member
of the advisory boards of Microsoft Partners in Learning and the Project
Advisory Board of the Caribbean Universities Project for Integrated
Distance Education (CUPIDE). Carlton has also been a member of the
CARICOM ICT Task Force, a regional ICT leadership position charged with
developing a cohesive ICT policy framework for Caribbean governments.

Carlton's educational background includes a degree in Natural Sciences
from The University of the West Indies, a postgraduate degree in
management information systems from George Mason University, US, and a
postgraduate diploma in corporate strategy from the Sloan School of
Management at MIT.

*Dave Kissoondoyal* has been appointed as an At Large Advisory Committee
member from Africa. Dave will be an invaluable asset to the ALAC given
his experience in Internet governance and the Internet Society, whose
Mauritius chapter he founded. Dave is Director of Information Technology
at Teleforma (Mauritius), Ltd - A US Upstream Company.

Previously, Dave was Group Technical Director and Chief Technology
Officer for the Bowman Group of Companies. Dave is a member of the
Public Interest Registry .ORG Advisory Council, a member of the African
Stakeholders Network (ASN) of the United Nations Information and
Communication Technologies Task Force and has been an Ambassador of the
Internet Society to the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS).

Dave's other volunteer work includes acting at different times as
Secretary, Treasurer and President (CEO) of Save the Children Mauritius.
He also founded the Internet Society of Mauritius and is its president.

Dave's education background includes a qualification in electronics from
the University of Mauritius, in information systems management from the
Mauritius Institute of Management / University of Surrey, United
Kingdom, and in electronics from the City and Guilds of London
Institute. He speaks English, French and Hindi. <end snip>

*ICANN At-Large Staff*

Nick Ashton-Hart, Heidi Ullrich, Matthias Langenegger, Gisella Gruber-White

staff at atlarge.icann.org