[lac-discuss-en] Information on upcoming meetings in LACRALO needed

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Mon Aug 24 10:10:47 CDT 2009

Regional IGF was 2 week ago in Rio de Janiero, Brazil.   I believe
Jacqueline Morris attended.

Not sure what you mean by TLD meeting but LACTLD [http://lactld.org]
is a community of ccTLD operators that you can follow.  Erick Iriarte
Ahon is the fellow in charge over there and he's made overtures to the
Caribbean; the CARICOM Secretariat has sought my blessings on that
contact.   If my memory serves, they are planning a technical meeting
in Chile later this year.

The Caribbean Internet Governance Forum (CIFG) under the auspices of
the Caribbean Telecommunications Union (CTU) begins its annual meeting
today thru Friday, 8/28 in St. Kitts.  I'm en-route as we speak.
Adam Peake - ALAC NomCom member - is appearing on one of the panels
and I expect Shernon Osepa, the ICANN Regional Liaison to be in
attendance as well.

Courtney Jackson - formerly of the Jamaican Telecommunications
regulatory agency OUR  and a colleague from our days as staff  Bell
System Operating companies - and I were foundation conveners of  the
Caribbean Internet Forum (CIF) and for several years we held joint
CIF/CIFG conferences.  The CIF has now formed an alliance with the
Telecommunications Regulatory Policy Unit based in the Mona School of
Business at The University of the West Indies at Mona and severed its
collaboration with the CTU. Courtney Jackson remains the primary
contact.

The Government of Jamaica thru the Ministry of Energy and
Telecommunications is fully informed of At-Large activities in Jamaica
and have collaborated on fact distribution at internal meetings where
I've presented and so on. In fact, I encouraged a senior Jamaican
government official to successfully apply for a Fellowship to attend
the Sydney ICANN meeting.  She has since left the government service
and now works as Project Manager for a multilateral-supported
eGovernance project in the Eastern Caribbean.  We have done the same
for both the .jm and the .gy administrators for ICANN meetings.  One
attended the Cairo meeting and the other, Mexico City.

Carlton