[lac-discuss-en] Deadline for Public Comment on IRT Report

Cheryl Langdon-Orr langdonorr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 15:46:00 CDT 2009

It is my plan (which I expect ExCom to endorse at our meeting next week, so
we can start activity to formalize ASAP before the ALAC Meeting at the end
of this month) to take this important (dare I say landmark) Joint Statement
through the same endorsement and Vote process that we did with the various
Summit statements... So that it becomes a piece of formal  ALAC Policy
Advice and then send it to the BOARD as advice from the ALAC which we can do
at any point in time but will be useful as they consider the outcomes of the
'roadshow' process re IRT that is about to start... This also means that
whilst not altering the delivered Joint Statement text per se, we can add to
strengthen and make ALAC At-Large specific points (e.g. add the specific
endorsement from ALSes and RALO's  etc.,)  and any additional comments and
notes as appendixes to the Joint work done Ad-Hoc at ICANN 35...
I also want specific input from the talent pool IRT WG we put together (*so
can STaff ensure this goes out to that list*)  as well and will ask that the
'Commons' we set up for these activities, be used for the 'At-Large Comment
period' on it so we can get as much individual input as possible (in any
language) this said it means RALO's and ALSes need to mobilize to get these
additional / supplementary POV's ready to go...  I will also write to Robyn/
NCUC formally to let them know what we are doing how we need to do it and
that ancillary work to the statement may end up being attached to our final
ALAC Advice to the Board...
CLO ( who will be away from office for a couple of days so Vanda acts as
ALAC Chair)

2009/7/8 Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm>

> Dear Colleagues:
> If only because I find it offensive to reason, I have raised before
> now my strong opposition to elements of the IRT Report, especially
> this matter of globally-protected marks.  The University of the West
> Indies ALS has also made a public comment to the consultation.
>
> I believe it would be instructive and encourage all LACRALO ALS go to
> the wiki and endorse this joint ALAC-NCUC statement.
>
> Kind regards,
> Carlton Samuels
> The University of the West Indies
>
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Dev Anand Teelucksingh
> <admin at ttcsweb.org> wrote:
> >
> > The Joint Statement on the IRT Report From ALAC and NCUC :
> >
> https://st.icann.org/gnso-liaison/index.cgi?joint_statement_on_the_irt_report_from_alac_and_ncuc
> >
> > Dev T
> >
> > Andres Piazza wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear All, today is the deadline for presenting Public Comments at the
> >> ITR Report. This is the link:
> >> http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#irt-report
> >> You may remember that ALAC has been very active at Sydney (and before)
> about this, where this document was made:
> https://st.icann.org/alac-docs/index.cgi?statement_of_the_alac_on_the_irt_s_final_report_al_alac_st_0609_1
> >>
> >> In fact, at the Public Forum, Cheryl (ALAC Chair) and Robin Gross (NCUC
> Chair) provided a statement together.
> >>
> >> I particularly consider interesting the advice provided by Carlos
> Aguirre (he has been insisting in this since Paris Meeting, when New GTLD
> were announced), that you will find at the comments in the link I posted
> above. Personally and algo from a legal perspective, I consider this advice
> as an important alternative in order to avoid legal conflicts.
> >>
> >> During this week we will be providing some feedback from Sydney and
> working with the Agenda.
> >>
> >> Warm Regards,
> >>
> >> Andrés Piazza
> >> LACRALO Chair