[lac-discuss-en] NY Times : A Web That Speaks Your Language

Dev Anand Teelucksingh admin at ttcsweb.org
Sun May 17 00:06:57 CDT 2009

IN the early years of the Web, nearly all of its content appeared in
English. But that is changing quickly. Today, articles on Wikipedia are
available in more than 200 languages, for example. And about 36 percent
of the seven million blogs running on WordPress, a free software
platform, are in languages other than English, according to the founder
Matt Mullenweg.

Such changes create a challenge, says Ethan Zuckerman, a research fellow
at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard. “We are all
experiencing a smaller Internet than we should be,” he said. “In the
user-created Web, we’ve created a weird dynamic where there is more out
there every day — some of it important — but each person can
individually read less of it because it’s in multiple languages.”

A number of services, automated and human, are helping to translate what
Mr. Zuckerman calls “the polyglot Internet.” Once-expensive machine
translation technology is now available free at sites like Google
Translate, which offers translations in 41 languages. At these sites,
users can input a block of text, and a machine-generated translation
pops up almost instantaneously.

Read rest of article :
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/business/17proto.html