[lac-discuss-en] Proposed Text for LACRALO stement re: Proposed Framework for ICANN's FY10 Operating Plan and Budget

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Thu Apr 30 08:22:31 CDT 2009

Dear Colleagues:
I am on record for supporting the EURALO statement so this statement has my
support with a slight change.

I would suggest that the 2nd to final paragraph of the statement recognize
that changing meeting venues across the world gives ICANN a really good
opportunity to interact with local constituencies on a regular basis. I
submit this is a worthwhile political objective and needs to be more
providently exploited by the At-Large.

To compare, the annual meeting of the World Bank and IMF is usually held in
the spring in Washington DC. I quite forgot how it could be until I ran into
it last weekend. This meeting is attended by Ministers of Finance with
leading national technocrats of all member governments and their retinue.
Prices for hotel rooms and rental cars spike so your finances do take a hit.

In any event, quite apart from the significant economic gains to the DC
community, it reinforced the merits of ICANN's approach.

Carlton Samuels