[lac-discuss-en] =?windows-1252?q?apoyo_para_la_consolidaci=F3n_d = =?windows-1252?q?el_NCSG =

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Tue Apr 14 17:39:20 CDT 2009

It is a good thing for the proposed NCSG charter to recognize the problems
inherent to constituency-based representation and to take action in
addressing.  However, I am not so certain that the way it does fully
addresses the needs of institutions like a university with its multiple
interests and the multiple focal points of action that becomes necessary for
its continued viability.

The peculiarities in the character of The University of the West Indies is a
case in point; chartered by the British monarch, regional, not-for-profit
and government-supported but with independent institutes and centres, some
actively commercial.

I am personally pleased to see that ALAC/ At-Large membership is
specifically removed from contention in membership and that by itself makes
the charter "good enough" for me.  So I have personally endorsed it.

Carlton Samuels