[lac-discuss-en] Sergio Salinas Porto's comments on the Chronology of Events pertaining to the election of LACRALO Chair

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Wed Apr 8 12:31:25 CDT 2009

Dear Sergio:
The translation provided by the list is particularly hard on your Spanish
text.  So in order to ensure that I have the best sense of the meaning of
your comments, I have used the Google translation engine to render your
response into English.  This effort follows my response.

The procedure for proxy voting was placed on the list more than *one month*
before the GA.  If you thought the Secretariat was not competent or honest
to receive notification for a proxy as per the procedure, you had a duty of
care to address it in a timely manner. That you did not is again evidence of
your own meagre contribution to the substantive work of LACRALO over these
many years.

If you had a concern on the procedure itself as was recorded on the list, it
is not recorded before now.   This is  evidence of your lack of attention or
understanding of the substantive work of LACRALO, even when the details are
presented.  It is late in the day and clearly in effort of this campaign of
yours to collect another "presidential" ribbon. But it is not a good sign
for your ambitions.

Every single member has had a chance to audit their votes. And all the votes
are validated, including the proxies. I therefore take personal exception to
what seems like implied malfeasance to my work as both Secretariat of
LACRALO and Presiding Officer at the GA.  This is evidence of a lack of
intellectual rigour and personal integrity. Becasue it seems that when it is
convenient, you appeal to my good office and standing in the community to
enable your agenda.  But in your zeal to be "el Presidente", my good name is
being tarnished.   So you know, these are well beneath my contempt.

The University of the West Indies was the only Caribbean vote in your favor
at the GA.  My Caribbean colleagues have asked me on several occasions to
explain my vote.  Both Sylvia Leite and you would understand there was a
principle at stake. In any event, I take full responsibility for that
mistake. It will never happen again.  What is important to note now is that
the Caribbean caucus has noted your further attempt to question our
legitimacy in LACRALO and here forward, shall retain this in our memory.

Furthemore, since you raised the AUI-Peru proxy as an issue, you should
understand that the plain language restricted the exercise to the election
for LACRALO representative to ALAC and that only.  In fact, the email from
Johnny Laureano came ONLY after I was approached about AUI-Peru voting and I
repeated the procedure to his (and your) emissary. Her again, the evidence
of lack of attention to details.  I have included the email from AUI-Peru in
its original Spanish hereunder:
"Johnny Laureano <jlaureano at aui.pe>reply-tojlaureano at aui.pe
tocarlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
ccbronstein.sergio at gmail.com
dateTue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:24 AMsubjectOtorgamiento de Poder a representante
de Internauta Venezuela para elecciones de representantes de la región en
ICANN
hide details Mar 3

Estimado Carlton Samuels,
Secretario del LACRALO-ICANN

Luego de mis cordiales saludos, para expresarle  a través del presente el
otorgamiento de poder en favor de Sergio Bronstein de Internauta Venezuela,
para que en representación de la Asociación de Usuarios de Internet del Perú
- AUI PERU, pueda ejercer el voto de la AUI PERU para las elecciones de
representantes al At-Large Advisory Committee de ICANN.

Reiterando mis saludos y consideraciones, quedo de usted.

Atentamente,

Ing. Johnny Laureano
Presidente
Asociación de Usuarios de Internet del Perú ALS-ICANN
jlaureano at aui.pe
Telf. Cel. 51-1-995274283"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your assertions as to what transpired for the LACRALO Teleconference is not
just wrong but is evidence of a major weakness in assessment.  You did not
participate in preparing the meeting agenda although this was requested with
ample time for your input.  You did not object to the draft agenda that I
prepared and circulated with the help of At-Large staff.  All these require
substantive work. And in this regard, you were missing, yet again.

Once the work for organising the meeting is complete, you seem to be
asserting an organic right to chair.  Since you were not elected as Chair of
LACRALO, that assertion is again purely an emblem of this threadbare
ambition to be "el Presidente", regardless of facts and legitimacy.

Finally, I believe your assertions on staff contact with certain parties on
electoral matters borders on public mischief.  But I shall leave it to the
At-Large Staff to respond.

Kindest regards,
Carlton Samuels
The University of the West Indies

========================================================================================================================
<Google Translation>
After receiving your message with the chronology of events in the last
General Assembly of the LAC RALO, I thought proper to send the following
comments, which are referred to the ALAC request along with your report.

Stressed that in recent weeks I have chosen to remain silent, privileging
the institutional health of the body as LACRALO collective over the
individualities.

However, in view of the inaccuracies identified in the report that have
prepared, I feel obliged to make a series of clarifications:

The report omitted details of the utmost importance and relevance that make
the facts occurred far from the chronology contained in it.

In 1st place was avoided include (for no apparent reason), also presented
the power  AUI of Peru, who sent his mandate in a neat, sending a
representative to (Mr. Sergio Bronstein Internauta of Venezuela), with copy
to Mr. Carlton Samuels, the it was so sure that it does not fall into the
hands of a person who be judge and party in the assembly, leaving doubts
about its legitimacy.

Similarly, the other three powers came to the same person who was president
of the assembly, were not shown to anyone, and simply informed by email the
existence of such powers (why no copy was sent to another participant for
faith that the same?). It seems that by displaying links to the mails sent
by Carlton Samuels, wanted to endorse the message itself, not the mandate
delivered by these or organizations that were conducted in accordance with
the rules of the LACRALO.

It also failed to mention in the report actually was proclaimed a winner of
the elections (which is exactly who supports, Sergio Salinas Porto), and I
was put in duties immediately after the election. Since that time, played
formally as president of the LACRALO, both in the ICANN meeting in Mexico,
as later through contacts with regional organizations.

I also wish to stress that - at least when a questionable attitude in its
transparency-see attached e-mails that [i] -, I convened a teleconference in
which I was the only one who did not know that the legitimacy of my
presidency was questioned. The teleconference was in English, without
simultaneous translation, and my ability to understand the problem and
present the corresponding defenses was severely limited.  In fact, I asked
repeatedly to explain that I was clearly speaking of the Mr Nick Ashton and
Andrew Hart Piazza, which could not understand. Then Matthias Langenegg
informed me that should make my position (or at least it was his
understanding) because the staff had identified that the president was
Andrew Square (there was never anyone that I had read that a recount of
votes and we had to send monitors for this or that the ICANN staff was
dismissed and who was put in office to another
person other than who was proclaimed president in a General Assembly, in
accordance with the rules of the LACRALO).

I should also note that, after a few hours had been prepared in another call
which involved some ALSs - but without a quorum - in which I was not allowed
to exercise the presidency of LACRALO in violent, discriminatory and with
abuse, headed by Mr. Carlton Samuels, who, despite having no capacity to
chair the meeting - because it was me that role to me, at least until duly
discussed the topic with a new General Assembly.

These facts show that after the first call to which I refer, I shifted from
the position for which I was duly elected by the Assembly, without the
decision to consult with that body, and only after the decision by the ICANN
staff.

These facts are of a very serious institution, both because of the
remoteness of rules we have agreed, for it represents a clear and direct
interference staff on issues that should have been discussed by the members
of the ALSs
RALO.

The complaints of Mr. Carlos Andrés Aguirre and Mr. Piazza were addressed in
the Staff Instead of the assembly - would have received as -. Rather than
give the matter the channel  correct, we chose to solve the problem in a
manner contrary to the rules of the LAC RALO

Note that I omitted - with effort - make any reference in a personal
capacity about what happened. I would say, however, would have liked to be
treated in a more fairly and respectfully during this traumatic process.

I hope this is helpful to recall some issues in his chronology, cover and
omissions - surely unintentional - of the report. We ask that accompany this
note and its attachments with it, since the circumstances described here
must be taken into consideration by the ALAC and the members of the LACRALO.

Sergio Salinas Porto

  President