[lac-discuss-en] [ALAC] ICANN, the JPA and Draft Cybersecurity Act 2009

Thompson, Darlene DThompson at GOV.NU.CA
Fri Apr 3 10:28:46 CDT 2009

Thank you for putting this out, Carlton!

I've always had the same gut reaction as you - its interesting to see it
documented.

Darlene A. Thompson
Community Access Program Administrator
Nunavut Dept. of Education / N-CAP
P.O. Box 1000, Station 910
Iqaluit, NU  X0A 0H0
Phone:  (867) 975-5631
Fax:  (867) 975-5610
E-mail:  dthompson at gov.nu.ca

-----Original Message-----
From: alac-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org
[mailto:alac-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org] On Behalf Of Carlton
Samuels
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 10:25 AM
To: lac-discuss-en at atlarge-lists.icann.org; At-Large Worldwide
Subject: [ALAC] ICANN, the JPA and Draft Cybersecurity Act 2009

I have always had a difficulty seeing how my Uncle Sam would let go of
something so clearly strategic, especially when most Americans hold it
was
bought and paid for by American money.

So when I opined to some of you that the JPA - or some form thereof -
shall
forever be with us,  some said this was an "over the top" assessment.
Follow
the link and see the rattles of the the ordinary American political
mind.
Note well that the politicians named here are not your usual klavern of
rightwing firebreathing nativists. These - Snow and Rockefeller - tend
sterling centrist perspectives, if not actively liberal.

The *draft* *Cybersecurity Act 2009*
[http://cdt.org/security/CYBERSEC4.pdf]
establishes some facts on the ground.

Read *Sec 2: Findings* carefully. The *recitals* in this part justify
what
is proposed: the maintenance of the DNS infrastructure currently jobbed
out
to ICANN is a strategic and critical infrastructure resource which is
fundamental to the security and continued well-being of the United
States.
Plainly put, it is ineligible for "foreign" control.

Focus on *Sec 3: Cybersecurity Advisory Panel* and note who are the
persons
elegible for appointment to help USG/DOC make the decisions on JPA.

Be sure to read carefully *Sec 8: Review of NTIA Domain Name Contracts*.
The
provision for extending USG oversight of ICANN is documented here and
the
mechanism by which that will be assured.

Here is further grist for the mill, compliments of Milton Mueller's
blog:

http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2009/4/2/4141451.html

http://www.cdt.org/

Kind regards,