[lac-discuss-en] [ALAC] ICANN, the JPA and Draft Cybersecurity Act 2009

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Fri Apr 3 12:14:23 CDT 2009

Evan:
Well said and an insightful final paragraph.

Some member constituencies actually dismiss the intent of the USG in ICANN
simply because they cannot embrace the subtle multilayered strategic
operation that is involved here. For they tend to confuse the accents at the
top with a disinterested American future. More's the pity.

It became very much clearer to me that the USG/DOC might be the At-Large's
greatest strategic ally in defining our relationship with ICANN when I read
the letter of December 2008 on USG/DOC's unease with the introduction of new
gTLDs.

This is not to say there is congruence between USG/DOC and At-Large policy
perspectives. Far from it so don't go conflating agendas here. But it is
entirely useful to recognize that you could follow the tracks of the
elephant thru the high grass and find the waterhole.

Yes indeed, the At-Large is more important to ICANN's future prospects as an
"independent" entity than some recognize.

Up until now, maybe.

Carlton Samuels