[lac-discuss-en] =?iso-8859-1?q?Resultados_de_elecci=F3n_para_la _ = =?iso-8859-1?q?silla_y_la_secretar=EDa_en_Ciudad_de_M=E9xico =

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Thu Mar 19 19:06:09 CDT 2009

Dear Antonio:
The translation is not good but I think I got the sense of what you wished
to say.   With respect, you are wrong on both the facts and the procedure.
I urge you to read the voting procedures again to see how the raw votes are
counted and the weight of each raw vote.

As presiding officer I have a duty to certify the vote.  It is clear that an
arithmetic error in the preliminary count gave the result in favour of
Sergio Salinas Porto. This was wrong since it did not reflect the votes of
the members.  And at the conclusion of the offical count, the error was
recognized and communicated.  This error was material, meaning the voters
returned Andres Piazza as Chair of LACRALO.

The principle at stake here is that it is the vote in the General Assembly
that is supreme. Devnet's vote was not counted in the preliminary result. If
the false preliminary result was accepted, Devnet would have been
disenfranchised. It is the duty of the presiding officer to accept and
certify the official results.  I am satisfied that all the votes were
counted.  My duty is to allow all members to be satisfied also. This is easy
enough. All you ahve to do is confirm your own vote.  If you ahve a
difficulty in recall, the recording of the meeting will give you support.

Warm regards,
Carlton Samuels.