[lac-discuss-en] [ALAC-Announce] Mexico City Briefing Note Published

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Wed Mar 18 03:30:11 CDT 2009

Thanks for this. However I was rather astonished to see that the briefing notes do not have a special chapter on the At Large Summit. I do not know whether this was by intention or just by ignorance. In case it was by intention I do not understand why ICANN does seperate the At Large issue from its main business and does not celebrate ATLAS as its success. ATLAS, the declaration and the video are powerful tools in the forthcoming debate about the role of governments in Internet Governance and the post JPA phase. The JPA states very clearly that ICANN should become a "multistakholder model" and improve "global participation of all stakeholders" (Annex, Para. 6). The Board should not only congratulate the At Large Community for Atlas and  to "acknowledge the receipt of the At-Large Summit Declaration" it should also study the declaration and start to think about the implement of the various recommendations. The Board should take a discussion of the substance of the ATLAS Declaration to its agenda for the Sydney meeting. Probably we can organize a "Dialogue with the Board" on key issues mentioned in the ATLAS Declaration.  And At Large itself  should start to think about how to instiutionalize a follow up and review process of tis own Declaration.

Wolfgang