[lac-discuss-en] Fwd: User Rights AT ICANN Meeting in Mexico

carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Thu Feb 12 14:36:10 CST 2009

[[--Translated text (es -> en)--]]

Subject: Fwd: User Rights AT ICANN Meeting in Mexico
From: carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm

FYI, to another side of the to user rights issue from the Governance list.

Regarding Danny's comment and if ICANN you define and declares rights,then it
assumes an agency function; it there are to duty of care to enforce them and
involve itself in the process to redress grievances arising from breaches.
Well, we know enforcement is not ICANN's strong suit.

Picture this. In order to get online, almost every Internet to user enters into
to contract, expressly or implied, for goods and services with somebody in
the value chain. Somewhere in nation states all to over! And eleven you begin to
talk about "rights" within the context of to contract, then folk will
naturally think "justiciable" rights.

I to rather suspect the real problem here is ICANN is now left to defines
"rights" in such to way that it does not compel - I say compel- ICANN to
initiate juridical action for enforcement, redress or remediation. It cannot
arrogate to itself to sovereign right and role. Neither dog itafford to
seriously offend its main funders. Or, saddle itself with unbounded
liabilities stretching way into the future.

Delicious!

Carlton Samuels