[lac-discuss-en] Suggestion for agenda at ICANN Mexico meeting : end user training on how to use the LACRALO wiki

Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society admin at ttcsweb.org
Sun Jan 25 23:45:55 CST 2009

This is a suggestion I made at the LACRALO teleconference on 15th
January 2009 :

There should be a session or sessions for At-Large Structure (ALS)
representatives in Mexico to get some hands-on experience with using the
LACRALO wiki at http://www.lacralo.org/.

ALSes would understand how to :
- log into the wiki
- add a page
- editing an existing page
- how to be notified when changes are made to the LACRALO wiki

so that ALSes can better participate in LACRALO and ultimately in ICANN.

The LACRALO wiki is a good way to document LACRALO's
workflow on ICANN's policy related issues. It is difficult for any ALS
(and especially for any new ALSes that join LACRALO) to understand what
work (if any) is being done by LACRALO and how or where they can
participate.

Although emails are being sent to LAC-Discussion list, some ALSes may
not get them in time or at all ; perhaps their ISP flagged such emails
as spam and didn't allow the message to be delivered to the ALS inbox,
for example.

The recent confusion by some ALSes re: travel support for
ALS representatives to attend the March 2009 ICANN meeting in Mexico
City. While emails were sent on this list describing the process, this
process itself should have been documented on the LACRALO wiki. So the
survey itself should have been linked on the wiki, along with the
procedures for ALSes to respond to this survey.

Any ALS could turn to the wiki, read what is happening, and then take
appropriate measures. ALSes could also post their survey responses (if
they wanted to) to the wiki so that we can see what other ALSes in our
region are thinking of. ALSes could also add their ideas/thoughts about
various ICANN policy related issues to the wiki and a history of LACRALO
activity is documented which benefits ALSes in potentially all regions.

Another example where the wiki would benefit : an "upcoming deadlines"
page on the wiki so that ALSes can see at one location what we need to
do by what date.

Thoughts?

Dev Anand Teelucksingh
Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society at http://ttcsweb.org/